Saturday 3 December 2011

Day Twenty Four

Thanks to The Graphics Fairy for the above vintage image of a silkworm caterpillar, moth and eggs.

I'm beginning to feel quite attached to the caterpillars.
They are large enough now to be much more easily handled.
The size variance between them all is still huge.
The larger ones are buzzing with life.
I can feel this when I touch them.
They do not flinch at all when I make contact with them gently using my finger tips.
It is essential that the larvae are only handled with clean hands.
Bacteria may be transferred to the larvae.
To keep the caterpillars healthy it is important to keep the humidity (moisture) in their tank  low.
High humidity encourages mould to grow and will make the silkworms sick.
If the worms must be handled it should be done with great care so as to avoid bruising them.


No comments:

Post a Comment