To my surprise I discovered that between 20-30 silkworm eggs have hatched!
I can only attribute this to the fact that we have suddenly had some warm weather and that the way I have left the eggs I have unintentionally created an incubator.
Luckily, I found the new hatched silkworms very early and have been able to rehouse them and provide them with fresh leaves off our mulberry tree.
The rest of the unhatched eggs have been refrigerated until I can get them to their new owner.
Above is a photograph of our mulberry tree.
It's not very large.
The chicken wire netting is to prevent possums from climbing into the tree and eating all the berries and to stop them from stripping the tree bare of leaves.
Six hundred and ninety nine silk cocoons.