Tuesday 3 January 2012

Day Fifty Five

I don't have a camera!  It's very annoying.
I left the camera at my sister-in-law's house on Boxing Day and have had to resort to using my mobile telephone (which is not very good for taking photographs).
Today I have three things to report:
1.  My daughter fed her silkworms frozen leaves and returned home to find that the silkworms had turned green! She quickly removed the leaves from their tank and gave them fresh leaves.  Will they recover?  It remains to be seen.
2.  One of my silkworms  has failed to spin a proper cocoon.  It simply crept into a spot beneath some silk from other silkworms' cocoons.  I initially thought that the silkworm had failed to spin because it had died.  What I can see now is that the caterpillar is actually metamorphosing!  I will take photographs as soon as my camera has returned home.  Apparently a silkworm does  not need a cocoon for metamorphoses.   
3.  I found a cocoon in the garage...so similar in shape and size to a silkworm cocoon but a bit different in colour.  I've become so much more aware of cocoons now that I've watched hundreds of my own silkworms spin a cocoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment