Sunday 15 January 2012

Day Sixty Seven

Only a handful of moths emerged this morning.
Can't be too many left.
It was time to clean up the tank this morning.
I've had overnight visitors so I'd already tidied up a bit by putting all the moths into one tank (instead of two).  The eggs have been removed periodically and kept in another empty and clean tank.
This way I can stack all the tanks atop one another so that the moths/cocoons/eggs take up less floor space.
I threw a lace tablecloth over the tank containing the moths, so that the mass of bodies was not open to full view.
This proved problematic because the female moths climbed to the top and laid eggs on the cloth!
This morning I lined another empty tank with clean paper and transferred all the moths to this tank.
The incessant wing flapping causes the moths' wings to slowly deteriorate so that their wings look ragged and shaggy.
The bottom of the tank gradually becomes covered in a downy dust that used to be the moths' wings.
Over the past few days I have found this to be a bit of a health hazard, causing hay fever like symptoms.
This I think, could be a serious health hazard for anyone suffering from respiratory illnesses.
Tonight, a male moth shocked us by taking flight.
He scurried across the dining room floor and into the lounge room and then flew across the front of the television.  I managed to capture him and return him to his tank.
Silkworm moths are not supposed to fly!

No comments:

Post a Comment