Thursday 5 January 2012

Day Fifty Seven, Week 9

We Have Moths!
Fluttery moths, who have wasted no time with moving on, to the next step of ensuring the cycle continues.
As with the hatching of the silkworms, all the action seems to take place around dawn.
Not much happened after about nine this morning.
So...all that work I was going to do, to prepare for the emerging moths, has been delayed because of a four week influenza that eventually developed into bronchitis.
I'm on antibiotics now and I have been feeling a little bit more on top of things for about twenty four hours...thankfully.
Working under pressure now, I removed from the tanks and counted the cocoons.
I cleaned and dried the tanks and then lined them with paper.
One layer of paper is laid out to line the tank.
A smaller piece of paper is used to add a second liner to the bottom of the tank.
Rectangles of paper are added, in the hope that the moths will lay their eggs on these bits of paper making for easier handling.
So far I've got two requests for eggs.  The first is for a small amount.  The second is for  whatever remains.
If you would like to purchase eggs or empty cocoons, do contact me.
Sorry, due to border control, New South Welshman only please.

And, what does six hundred and ninety nine cocoons look like?

Well, this one didn't cocoon...but metamorphosis is still progressing.


As I'm about to publish this post, the first batch of eggs has been laid!





No comments:

Post a Comment