Friday 23 December 2011

Day Forty Four

Panic stations late yesterday when I discovered that ants have been gathering in one of the tanks.
No, no, no!
It seems that one of the silkworms had escaped and cocooned beneath a tank sitting  directly on the floor and when I moved the tank it sort of squashed the caterpillar.
Death equals ANTS!
So what to do? What to do?
Cleaned up as best I could, mopped the floor around the general area and I think we're now back to safe stations again.
What also attracts the ants is the messy fluid that is excreted just before the silkworms begin to spin their cocoons.
It can dampen cardboard if that's what the silkworms are on. Some of mine are now in shoe boxes and I have been leaving them directly on the floor...a big no- no!  No longer!

Yesterday afternoon I also received a telephone call from a panic stricken grand mother who wanted to purchase silkworms for her two year old grand daughter.
The child's mother's been reading her the story of The Very Hungry Caterpillar and the two year old has asked Santa for a caterpillar for Christmas.
I have been advertising the silkworms for sale on Gumtree and although I've had about eighty hits, this was my first call.  The serendipity is that the family lives only a few kilometres away and this afternoon Grandma Nanette  went home with ten of my smallest caterpillars to give to her grand daughter for Christmas.  How sweet!

No comments:

Post a Comment