Tuesday 22 November 2011

Day Thirteen

Thank you to Mr Honey Pie for being such a generous gatherer!
We now have a third source of mulberry leaves because Mr Honey Pie has discovered a mulberry tree growing in the yard where he works.
Just look at all those shiny green leaves.
This means we don't have to go to Tench Reserve alongside the Nepean River to gather a supply of leaves.  But it's reassuring to know that the supply is there if need be.

I'm finding the tanks a little easier to clean now.
Having two tanks is much more convenient than one.
With two tanks I can transfer all the silkworms and the leaves they're feeding on, to one tank while the other is being cleaned.
While I'm cleaning the tank, I place as many fresh leaves as I can into the other tank to entice as many silkworms onto the new leaves.
When the cleaned tank is ready I can then place the silkworm-laden leaves into the clean tank.
I am getting a bit of a better pattern and routine to the care of the worms.
Now that they are larger, they are also easier to handle.

One of the worms measured in at 1.5 cm today.

The temperature dropped to around 17 oC overnight.  
We've had cloud and rain so I'm hoping that it doesn't get much colder than this.
Otherwise I'll have to put the heating on again.



No comments:

Post a Comment