Friday 18 November 2011

Day Nine

The weather over the last two days has been miserable.
On Tuesday, the temperature was around 37oC.  Yesterday it was 15 oC.  A big drop, and this can play havoc with the silkworm larvae.  The poor little things became sluggish and they slowed their eating right down.
In the end I turned the heating on.  Can you believe it?  Less than two weeks to summer and I've got the heating on?

Well, the good news is that the weather is back on track today and the little critters have returned to their active hungry selves.

And I sold my first batch of the silkworms today.  So far I've exchanged about 20, given away about 15 and sold another 20.

The larger of the silkworms is now measuring in at 12mm long and 2mm thick.  And their colour is lightening up to a nice creamy colour.


I've also got a request for some eggs (ova) when they eventuate which I might exchange for a mulberry plant.



I have become quite attached to the little things, I spend around an hour morning and night making sure they have enough fresh leaves and that old leaves are removed.
Of course if there were less, then this would take less time to do.




No comments:

Post a Comment